Unturned is a free sandbox game in an emerging singleplayer and multiplayer apocalypse survival genre. Unlike some survival genre games which are focused on a multiplayer style, Unturned provides players with easy systems to survive the zombie infestation in many various ways, either on their own or with their friends. Over the course of a typical adventure, players and groups will have a blast fortifying locations, scavenging for supplies, trying to live off the land, and interacting with other players. The game is being developed entirely with the community in focus, and has many features which are based entirely on feedback.
Players can build massive forts out of structural building blocks, or build onto smaller buildings in the world with barricades. More options for building are constantly being added. Buildings can be destroyed by various different tools. There are 2 types of buildings: structures and barricades. Structures can be placed on floors supported with pillars and most of the time this is the only way to place one. Barricades are more often freeform buildings that can be placed anywhere that is not obstructed.
Players can choose to become a hero by helping other players and softening the bandit population. Heroes are very rare due to having rewards that do not even compare to being bandits and the fact that it's very risky.
There are currently seven maps to play: the PEI map, which is a map useful for starting players; the Washington map; the Yukon map, for more experienced players who want a challenge against the environment; the Russia map; Germany, Greece, and Cyprus, the latest map added to the game, in 220.127.116.11. Hawaii was the first curated map added, followed by Greece, Cyprus and France. The player also has the option to create their own maps using the Editor.
Players also have the option to play the Arena gamemode. It is a deathmatch where multiple players spawn in random locations around the map and have to fight until only one player is left. Currently, five maps are available for this mode: Alpha Valley, a small town; Monolith, a forest with an island in the center; PEI Arena; Washington Arena and Canyon Arena
- OS (Windows): Windows 7 32-bit
- OS (Mac OS X): Leopard 32-bit
- OS (SteamOS + Linux): Ubuntu 32-bit
- Processor: 2 GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- DirectX (Windows): Version 9.0c
- Storage: 1 GB available space
- OS (Windows): Windows 10 64-bit
- OS (Mac OS X): Yosemite 64-bit
- OS (SteamOS + Linux): Ubuntu 64-bit
- Processor: 3 GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- DirectX (Windows): Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 4 GB available space
- Nelson Sexton, the creator of Unturned, originally created a game on RŌBLOX called "Deadzone" before it was abandoned in its early stages.
- http://smartlydressedgames.com/ was originally advertised on Nelson's RŌBLOX character biography.
- The game was commonly stereotyped as a "Minecraft + DayZ" game by many people after its release, due to both the style of gameplay, and several other similarities. Since the development of Unturned 3.0, these stereotypes are now less prevalent, but still recognizable during gameplay.